o 1 pound Great Northern white beans (I use 4 cans of Great Northern white beans, but you could use more)
o 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast (cut into small portions/cubes)
o salt and pepper, to taste
o 2 medium onion, chopped
o 2 4oz. cans of mild chopped green chilies
o 4 garlic cloves, minced
o 2 Tbsp. olive oil
o 6 cups fat-free chicken broth
o 2 Tbsp. ground cumin
o 2 tsp. dried oregano, crushed
o 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
o 3 cups shredded lowfat Monterey Jack cheese
o Lowfat or Fat Free Sour cream
o Fresh cilantro
- In large pot, heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil over medium heat and sauté onions until translucent. Stir in garlic, chilies, cumin, oregano, and cayenne pepper and cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Season chicken breast cubes with salt and pepper, then saute in a skillet using 1 Tbsp. olive oil. Add to the pot.
- Drain and rinse beans, then add to pot with chicken stock. Bring to boil and reduce heat. Simmer for approximately 15-30 minutes (you're basically just looking to meld the flavors and heat the soup here. I usually go for 20-30 mins, but use your best judgement.)
- Add 1 cup of cheese to chili and stir until cheese melts. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with extra Monterey Jack, sour cream, salsa, and cilantro as toppings.